Subject: Grip (Job) in film
Content: In the  U.S.  and  Canada ,  grips  are lighting and rigging technicians in the  film  and  video  industries. They make up their own department on a film set and are led by a  key grip . Grips have two main functions. The first is to work closely with the camera department, especially if the camera is mounted to a  dolly ,  crane  or other unusual position. Some grips may specialize in operating  camera dollies  or  camera cranes . The second is to work closely with the electrical department to put in the lighting set-ups necessary for a  shot . In the  UK ,  Australia  and most parts of  Europe , grips are not involved in lighting. In the "British System", adopted throughout Europe and the British  Commonwealth  (excluding Canada), a grip is solely responsible for camera mounting and support. The term 'grip' dates back to the early era of the  circus . From there it was used in  vaudeville  and then in today's film  sound stages  and sets. Some have suggested the name comes from the 1930s-40s slang term for a tool bag or "grip" that these technicians use to carry their tools to work. Another popular theory states that in the days of hand-cranked cameras, it would be necessary for a few burly men to hang on to the tripod legs to stop excessive movement of the camera. These men became known as the 'good grips'- as they were constantly being instructed to 'keep a good grip on the tripod'. U.S. grips may belong to the  International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes . Canadian grips may also belong to IATSE or to Canada's other professional trade unions including Toronto's Nabet 700, or Vancouver's ACFC. British grips usually belong to  BECTU  (Broadcasting Entertainment Cinematograph & Theatre Union). For more info click on the link below